Cutise Cakes not Magnolia Marvelous

Sunday, September 13, 2009


A couple of weeks ago we were driving down Main Street in Layton when low and behold I spotted a sign that read Cutsie Cakes Cupcakes NOW OPEN. I screamed STOP CUPCAKES!! Blake SLAMMED on the brakes and did a quick Uey.

Blake and I were pretty avid magnolia cupcakers back in NY and while my waist line was over joyed when we moved away my taste buds were not. I wouldn't say that magnolia cupcakes were the best I had ever tasted but the cake was always moist and the frosting soft and at only $3.50 for a more than average sized cupcake I always thoroughly enjoyed every bit.

So I'm sure you can understand why I was so very excited to think that little old Layton might be stepping up a notch in awesomeness with the addition of a cupcake boutique. As we walked into the shop I was pleasantly greeted with playful pinks,blues and yellows. The staff was polite up beat and seemed very cupcake savy. The owner told us that she woke up every morning at 4:30 to bake some serious love into each and every cake. After a little chit chat and only $2.50 a piece Blake and I strolled out of the shop with 1 vanilla and 1 chocolate peanut butter cupcake. I was so excited to try mine that as soon as I hit the passenger side seat I popped open the eco friendly packing and took a giant bite...
YUCK!

Not only was the cupcake tiny so tiny that in one bite I had almost devoured the entire thing but the cake was dry mildly tasty and the frosting was hard. SAD FACE :( What's even more disturbing than the mediocre cupcake was the fact that we were in Utah the do it yourself homemaker capital of the world. Where we are know for old fashion good home cookin. I would have expected hard dry cupcakes from New York where the women in line with me at Magnolias had once told me that the plain old banana pudding with whip cream and vanilla wafers she was inhaling was the best thing she had ever tasted. Or the New York where they use there ovens as plant holders and extra shoe storage. I don't know maybe my cupcake expectations were to high but whatever the case may be I won't be returning to Cutsies for seconds. I guess in the future my little cupcake habit will have to be fed by MarthaStewart.com and my own two hands.



xoxo,
Photobucket

* New York also has some really awesome cooks. Some of the best food I have every tasted came from NY so I hope all my New York readers don't take this post to seriously!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I loved those Magnolias cupcakes! I need to return your call still! I am heading out of town to vegas for the design market but I will call you as soon as I get back!! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a really good cupcake shop in Provo. Moist, soft frosting, and fun flavors like pink lemonade. Check them out at www.thesweettoothfairy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are really sad that you had an unjoyable experience and hope that you will let us make it up to you! We have had tons of positive feedback and we're hoping you will give us another try on us!
    Think about it and we hope to see you soon!
    (We remember chatting with you two! So cute and fun!)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salt Lake has some pretty good tasting cupcakes... but beware- I have yet to find a bakery that doesn't sale only MINI cupcakes. One bite.. thats it.

    ReplyDelete

Evolve Fitness

Tigan Ink Creative

Instagram